Saturday, June 29, 2019

Oconee County Planning Commission Sides With Existing Home Owners Rather Than Builder In Adjoining Subdivision

***Hodges Mill Road Rezone Request***

Jeff Carter of Carter Engineering told the Oconee County Planning Commission that his client, Jud Shiver, has discovered problems with six of the lots he bought back in 2013 in Morningside subdivision off Hodges Mill Road.

The lots do not drain well, Carter said, and Shiver, operating as Scout Construction LLC, wants to disturb the 40-foot buffer on the six lots to create a drainage ditch to solve the problem.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Oconee County Commissioners Agree To Purchase Land North Of Watkinsville For Administrative Building

***Following Executive Session***

Oconee County Commissioners decided Tuesday night to purchase 7.63 acres just outside of the northern boundaries of Watkinsville for a future administrative building.

The planned new facility will house the non-judicial government functions currently located in the Oconee County Courthouse in downtown Watkinsville and at the Oconee County Annex on Greensboro Highway on the south of Watkinsville.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Oconee County School Board Approves $82 million Fiscal Year 2020 Budget With Millage Rate Drop

***Budget Includes Raises For All Employees***

The Oconee County Board of Education last week approved unanimously an $82.3 million Fiscal Year 2020 budget that includes a decrease in the millage rate from 17 to 16.5.

More than half of the revenue in the budget--55.0 percent--comes from the state, with local sources, primarily property taxes, contributing the remaining 45.0 percent.

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Oconee County Commission Moves Forward With Construction Plans For Malcom Bridge Road Roundabouts

***Contract Awarded For First Of Three Roundabouts***

Oconee County commissioners are going forward with plans for construction of three roundabouts on Macolm Bridge Road, with construction on the first–at Mars Hill Road–to begin this summer.

Construction of roundabouts at the bus entrance and the parent entrance to Malcom Bridge Middle School will take place at a later date, after the county gets new bids for the former and finalizes plans with a developer for the latter.

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Lobbyist For Georgia Equality Reviewed 2019 State Legislative Session For Oconee County Democrats

***Praised Bill Sponsored By Rep. Gaines***

Shannon Clawson, lobbyist for Georgia Equality, told Oconee County Democrats last month that her group had a mixed record during the 2019 Georgia legislative session.

Clawson pointed to passage of a number of bills that she said served the interests of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities of the state.