Sunday, March 03, 2024

Oconee County Early In-Person Voting In Presidential Primary Continues At Slow Pace

***Small Number of Mailed Ballots Received***

Turnout picked up just slightly in the second week of in-person voting for the March 12 Presidential Primary.

A total of 711 voters cast their ballots in person last week, up from 606 the week before.

To date, the Oconee County Board of Elections and Registration also has received and accepted 95 absentee ballots, up only by 33 from the 62 returned and accepted at the end of last week.

The total of 1,412 accepted ballots to date (1,317 Advance In Person and 95 Absentee by Mail) represents only 4.3 percent of the county’s 32,969 registered voters.

Early in-person voting continues on Monday and runs from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Friday at the County Administrative Building, 7635 Macon Highway, north of Watkinsville.

No Saturday in-person voting will take place this week.

Candidate qualifying for the May 21 primaries also begins on Monday.

Qualification is from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday of this week and from 9 a.m. to noon on Friday at the Board of Elections and Registration in the Administrative Building.

Voting Trend

On Monday of last week, 142 voters cast a ballot in person, the highest number so far in early voting.

Click To Enlarge

Voting on Tuesday was just lower at 140 votes cast.

Voting dropped to 117 votes cast on Wednesday and Thursday and was only 106 on Friday and 89 on Saturday, the second and final day of Saturday voting.

Comparisons with the presidential primaries in 2020 and 2016 are complicated by a number of factors, including the impact of COVID in 2020 and changes in voting laws.

Final turnout in the Presidential Primary in Oconee County in 2020 was 48.3 percent, with 53.7 percent of those votes cast by Absentee by Mail and 14.1 percent Advance in Person.

In the 2016 Presidential Primary, turnout was 53.7 percent, with 1.4 percent Absentee by Mail and 22.6 percent Advance in Person.

Party Ballots

Of the 1,317 in-person ballots cast so far, 1,120 have been with the Republican ballot, or 85.0 percent of the total.

Only 197 Democratic in-person ballots have been cast in Oconee County, or 15.0 percent of the total cast.

Of the 95 absentee mail ballots received and accepted to date, 59, or 62.1 percent, were in the Republican Primary.

The 36 Democrat mail ballots represent 37.9 percent of the total received and accepted.

Since Georgia does not have registration by party, voters can pick either of the two ballots.

Of the 154 outstanding mail ballots, 107 or 69.5 percent, are Republican, with the remaining 47, or 30.5 percent, Democratic. The deadline for submitting an absentee ballot request was March 1.

The Republican Ballot contains 11 names, with only Nikki Haley and former President Donald J. Trump still actively campaigning.

The Democratic Ballot contains only three names, with incumbent President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and Dean Phillips campaigning.

1 comment:

OC Elections said...

Qualifying begins at 9 a.m. each day.